Adventures of the Reichstagsgebäude in Berlin, Stadtmitte

German Language & Culture

Theresia DiPalma

Monday we went to the Reichstag.

The original function of the Reichstag was to serve as the seat of parliament in the German Empire and the Weimar Republic. However, during World War II the majority of the building was destroyed in a fire. Since 1994 it has been rebuilt and renovated. Today, the Reichstag serves as the seat of the German federal parliament.

It was a wonderfully warm day and the students had a blast. We went all the way to the glass dome on the very top. 

The roof terrace and dome of the Reichstag Building can be visited by members of the public, and offer spectacular views of the parliamentary and government district and Berlin’s sights.

Students used an electronic auto guide. In about half an hour the personal guide to the dome explained many important facts about the Reichstag Building and its surroundings, the German Bundestag as well as the work of Parliament. During your 230-meter-long ascent and descent, it also talked about many of the historic sights on the horizon. 

After our exploration, we met on the lawn in front of the building and had a little debrief, and then took a picture together.