4 Highlights of our Overnight Trip!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability (En Español)

mariah Usseglio
Learning to fly

We started the trip with binoculars at the ready, creeping through the natural wetland reserve S’Albufera. Though we were able to observe many types of native birds, the highlight was without a doubt being able to observe a group of flamingos that landed magnificently in front of our hideout. While it was an exciting moment, our biologists explained that their presence in the park is a sign of a gradual salinization that the park has been undergoing for years. While saltwater birds like flamingos are coming to the park to breed for the first time in recent years, bird counts have recorded fewer fresh water birds.

fun with friends

We did some flying of our own later that day - off cliffs! Our wonderful local monitors from Terra i Mar taught us how to cliff jump, also called coasteering. While some heights were daunting at first, we all had so much fun. Safety first, though! We wore life jackets and jumped only where the locals knew it was safe to do so.

bird watching
Going with the island flow

As you may know already, Spain is a fluid time culture, meaning that deadlines are flexible and it’s more about the friends you make on the way. Well, we learned today that inside Spain there is also Mallorca time. Five minutes might mean twenty. Half an hour might mean one hour. But, as they say, ¡No pasa nada! We hiked to a beautiful cove, swam, did some more cliff jumping and returned on a catamaran.

beautiful beach
We are good at beach (hi Ken!)

We were able to really relax and enjoy the sandy white beaches of Alcudia. Volleyball, frisbee, ice cream, swimming… We can do it all! But sometimes we need some down time at the pool, which we are also good at. 

volleyball
Getting out of our comfort zone

This trip really helped us deal with some of the difficult aspects of studying abroad, as well. For example, it can be hard to finally feel like you are settling into your host family dynamic, then be away from them for several days, sharing rooms with students that you haven’t shared space with before. Speaking in a second language all day is tiring, and we’re also on the go all the time, so students find rest when they can to recharge. I’m sure you’ll join us in saying: we’re so proud of these students!