5 Must-Experience Fall Festivals in Kyoto

CIEE Kyoto

Kyoto, the cultural heart of Japan, is known for its rich history, beautiful temples, and vibrant seasonal festivals that showcase the city’s deep-rooted traditions. Autumn in Kyoto is a time of breathtaking beauty, with leaves turning vivid shades of red and gold. It is also a season filled with some of Kyoto’s most fascinating festivals. Here are five must-see fall festivals that highlight the city's unique cultural heritage:

1. Karasu-Sumo (Crow Sumo) – September 9th

Karasu-Sumo, or "Crow Sumo," is one of Kyoto’s most quirky and unique festivals, held annually at the Kamigamo Shrine. The festival celebrates an ancient Shinto ritual where participants imitate the cawing and movements of crows, believed to be divine messengers. The event begins with a sacred sumo wrestling match, symbolizing the strength and protection of the gods. The atmosphere is joyful and light-hearted, offering a fascinating glimpse into Kyoto's blend of spirituality and playful tradition.

Fall2

2. Moon Viewing Party (Tsukimi) – September 17th 

Moon Viewing, or Tsukimi, is a cherished autumn tradition in Japan that celebrates the beauty of the harvest moon. In Kyoto, various temples and gardens, such as Daikaku-ji Temple, host elegant moon-viewing parties where visitors can enjoy traditional tea ceremonies, poetry readings, and music under the full moon. The serene settings, often illuminated by lanterns, create a magical atmosphere perfect for reflection and appreciation of nature’s beauty. Tsukimi is a gentle reminder of Kyoto’s harmonious relationship with the changing seasons.

fall3

3. Kasa-Kake Shinji – October 20th

Kasa-Kake Shinji is a lesser-known but deeply spiritual festival held at the Fushimi Inari Taisha, one of Kyoto’s most famous shrines. This sacred Shinto ritual involves a ceremonial dance performed by priests and shrine maidens under parasols. The dance, which dates back over a thousand years, is a prayer for bountiful harvests and protection from evil spirits. The festival is a unique opportunity to witness Kyoto’s ancient religious traditions up close, blending rhythmic music, colorful attire, and solemn chants in a mesmerizing display of faith.

fall4

4. Kurama Fire Festival (Kurama no Himatsuri) – October 22nd

One of Kyoto’s most dramatic festivals, the Kurama Fire Festival, lights up the night sky with torches and bonfires. Held at Kurama Temple in the mountainous village of Kurama, just north of Kyoto, this festival is a spectacular celebration of fire and purification. Participants dressed in traditional garments carry massive torches through the village streets, chanting and performing ceremonial dances to appease the gods and drive away evil spirits. The festival culminates in a grand procession to the temple, creating an unforgettable fiery spectacle that draws crowds from near and far.

fall5

5. The Jidai Matsuri (Festival of Ages) – October 22nd

The Jidai Matsuri, or "Festival of Ages," is one of Kyoto’s most iconic events, held annually on October 22nd to commemorate the city’s founding as Japan’s imperial capital. The festival features a grand procession of over 2,000 participants dressed in authentic costumes representing various periods of Kyoto’s history, from the Heian era to the Meiji Restoration. The parade begins at the Imperial Palace and winds its way to Heian Jingu Shrine, offering a living timeline of Kyoto’s rich cultural heritage. This spectacular display of historical pageantry is a unique way to travel through time and experience the evolution of Japanese culture firsthand.

fall6

Experience Kyoto’s Fall Festivals

These five festivals highlight Kyoto’s vibrant spirit and deep connection to its cultural and religious roots. Whether it’s the light-hearted Karasu-Sumo, the serene Moon Viewing Party, or the fiery spectacle of the Kurama Fire Festival, each event offers a unique glimpse into the traditions that have shaped Kyoto over the centuries. Visiting Kyoto during these festivals not only provides a chance to witness these unique cultural events but also to experience the city at its most colorful and dynamic, surrounded by the stunning beauty of autumn leaves.

Embrace the season and immerse yourself in the sights, sounds, and stories of Kyoto’s incredible fall festivals.