Welcome to Rabat everyone! اهلا وسهلا بكم للرباط

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Mohamed Kilani

Alhamdulillah (we give thanks!) on Sunday our Session II Language & Culture HSSA students arrived safely to Rabat. Despite a few flight delays in New York and a little luggage confusion in Casablanca, students made the most of the extra time to bond and support each other during this long journey. The joy on their faces was palpable when they were warmly welcomed by their host families at the historic city walls of the Old Medina. It was then that the realization that Rabat would be their home for the next four weeks truly sank in!

Orientation kicked off bright and early Monday morning, offering everyone a chance to mingle and connect with fellow students, teachers, and program staff. Smiles, laughter and camaraderie filled the room right from the start! We also discussed key expectations and offered tips for adjusting to Moroccan culture and daily life. Later in the day, we explored yummy lunch options nearby the CIEE center and returned via tram to the Old Medina, where host families arrived to pick up their guests after a busy orientation day.

Tuesday marked many milestones for our HSSA participants, including their first lessons in Darija Arabic and a community conversation session. Equipped with newfound language skills, they practiced introductions and exchanged basic information with their program leaders and teachers. Following this, they enjoyed a local guided tour of the city, marveling at Rabat's blend of Islamic and French colonial architecture and monuments.

We're immensely proud of our students for their courage in stepping out of their comfort zones and challenging themselves over these past two days. It's no small feat, so congratulations to everyone who contributed to making this experience possible! We eagerly look forward to seeing the progress everyone will continue to make over the next four weeks.