Welcome to Paradise

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Kokayi Postell

This weekend we experienced the true beauty and tranquility of the Dominican Republic with a trip to Sosua. As we reached the town of Puerto Plata we could feel the shift in energy from what we encountered in Santiago. This was a laid back atmosphere even though it was still quite populated. Once we landed at our hotel “Sosua by the Sea” just in time for the sunset, we could feel that deep relaxation and enjoyment were underway. We enjoyed a lovely buffet style dinner and swimming pool games as we led into the evening.

Bright and early the next morning we set off on a mini journey to our boat tour at Laguna Gri Gri. Not knowing what to expect, this experience was beyond belief! We took a 20 minute ride through the mangroves to a private beach/natural pool that hosted pristine clear waters. The water temperature was perfect and we swam together for close to an hour. A few of the students even found a small cave with tribal inscriptions painted on the wall, and they took advantage of this opportunity to engage in some communal meditation. Everyone exuded a child-like bliss that always seems to happen at the beach. The perfect start to our Saturday in Sosua!

We were welcomed back to the hotel with a wonderful lunch buffet and music blasting at the seaside. The locals seem to also really enjoy hanging out at the beach on the weekend. We swam for hours at the beach and made new Dominican friends. The weather was perfect and with goggles you could see fish and stingrays in the water. We were in a tropical paradise! This was definitely a highlight of our trip and made our efforts with the local NGOs more than worth it!

Leaving the next day was quite tough but our scavenger hunt of downtown Puerto Plata made things better. We were able to experience cultural and colorful parts of this coastal town and have a farewell lunch before hitting the road. We gained insight on a different part of the country and grew even closer as a unit, forming bonds that will continue even when the trip has concluded. You know you’re in tropical paradise when you see a parrot, luckily we were able to get a few pics before departure!

Kokayi & Sheila