A Week-End in Lyon

Fashion Design & French Culture

Tracy Gallo

On Friday afternoon, 32 Fashion Design & Culture students, 3 Program Leaders and 2 CIEE local staff members embarked on a journey to what is considered the starting point for the south of France, Lyon. They traveled in style, boarding the TGV (train de grande vitesse) for a quick 2 hour journey from Paris to Lyon. 

Once in Lyon, students found their rooms and roommates at the SLO Les Pentes de Lyon hostel. There was a group dinner at a local brasserie and then they explored Vieux-Lyon. Saturday was a day full of exercise! They walked up and down steps, inclines and hills throughout the day to attend weaving workshops and demonstrations, to learn about silk and how it was made, to have lunch at the Parc de la Tête d'Or, and to have some free time for shopping and exploring the city. Students were treated to dinner at a typical "bouchon Lyonnais" at the end of a very long day. Sunday morning, students were up and ready to explore the stunning Basilica of Fourvière, up on the hill overlooking Lyon. After Saturday's full day of walking, they decided that it was best to take the metro and the funiculaire to reach the beautiful Basilica. They were not disappointed by the beautiful Basilica (inside and out) and the breathtaking views of Lyon.

After a relaxing picnic lunch, students returned to the hostel to get their bags and returned to Paris around 615pm; eager to do their laundry, relax, get their own dinner, and get ready to start week 2 of the program!