Walking and Waddling!

Leadership & Service Through Mandela's Example

Yesterday was an exciting day of service and sight seeing in the community of Langa, a township and suburb of Cape Town that is ridden with many inner-community hardships. We started our day in Langa by helping repaint and reconstruct some parts of the Methodist Church of Africa, a humble community center that holds a lot of significance to the locals. With our hands still covered in paint and our sleeves still rolled, we headed towards Mzsani's where we ate tradition South African cuisine to our hearts' content. We were welcomed by incredible views of Table Mountain, lively music and opportunities to get on our feet and dance!

After lunch, we took an experiential walking tour of Langa where we were surprised to see so many diverse community initiatives, everything from new schools to graffiti competitions to a communal performing arts center. Our day ended at Groenvlei High School where we were overjoyed to see our newfound friends again and bond over some well-cooked braai, a traditional South African BBQ! We heard some moving speeches by the local high school students followed by a screening of the oscar-nominated South African film, "Call Me a Thief". It was a breathtaking feature film that was even more memorable because we had the chance to meet the movie's composer of the musical score as well the director himself!    

It's not everyday that you get to see a colony of African penguins two feet away from you! Today, we took a trip down along the Cape peninsula to visit our feathery little friends who enjoy waddling and taking swims on their private beach. When our stomachs started growling, we took a quick lunch stop at Bertha's Restaurant where we enjoyed some fish n' chips and an amazing waterfront view. To continue our adventure, we drove out to the most southwestern point of Africa, Cape Point, followed by a quick hike to enjoy the views from the Cape of Good Hope!