First Impressions of Service-Learning PT 2

Leadership & Service Through Mandela's Example

Chelsi Dimm

Once students settled into their service-learning site and had more time with the students, they were able to read a group of younger students' stories and get them interested in reading and coming to the library. In the afternoons, our students learned about different youth initiatives at the library and did science experiments with older students and learned more about their lives and sheared about themselves as well. Here are more first impressions of doing service work from our students. 

"Doing service work in South Africa has allowed me to gain a new perspective on my life and immediately exposed me to the illiteracy crisis in South Africa. I was able to connect with many of the students at the library and share pieces of my life with them. This experience has truly allowed me to look through life in a new lens, and even though we are only here for a few weeks, i’m very thankful for being able to interact with these students." -Jordan 

"It is very impactful to see the children’s communities providing resources and coming together to tackle the significant issue of illiteracy.  Through interactions with the students there is a strong cultural exchange and mutual interest. Overall, it has been a highly beneficial experience full of exposure to new things, a unique understanding of a new place, and opportunities to make real relationships across the world." Elle

"For the first two days of service work, I’ve been exposed to the severity of the issue of illiteracy in South Africa. I enjoyed spending time with the children here, getting to know them, and playing with them, but I fear that the time we have here isn’t enough to properly help them with the issues of illiteracy present. I hope that what we can do will help them for the time being, and lead toward healthier habits and practices beyond our visit here." -Charles 

"The children were beyond excited to interact with us, especially because we’re from the US and that is somewhere they perceive to be some type of oasis. Children didn’t speak English well or at all. The children weren’t familiar with different kinds of lifestyles, they seem to have only been exposed to poverty."

"At first it was pretty daunting coming into a room full of children you’ve never met before, but all of the children were extremely excited for us to be there.  I was initially nervous because of the little commonality that I thought I would have with the kids, but it has really been a joy to exchange culture and have fun with all the kids. Overall, I have had a great time and hope that I have made a positive impact."

"Initially I thought the library was well resourced and favored libraries in America. However, over the past two days I realized that technology is and other resources are not always available. I realized how the children are aware of the circumstances, and want better for themselves, but don’t have the opportunity to do so." -Jamari