A Visit to the Black Mountain With a Stay at the Eco-lodge: Domain du Thoré

French Language & Culture

Jeffi Anthony

Set in the picturesque Massif Central mountain range west of Toulouse lies a huge granite relief called la Montagne Noire (the Black Mountain).

F1

We started our trip by visiting the farm Métairie Basse. Here at the farm, they make fresh cheese from the milk they produce. Our hosts showed us around, we got to see the baby rabbits, calves and goats. A few brave students even got a demonstration on how the milking machine works by placing their thumbs inside. 

F2

We stayed at the eco lodge Domaine du Thoré where we were able to connect with nature and learn about local flora and fauna. Roger our guide and his nephew Leni taught us a song and dance about Né Né a wild boar. We took an evening walk through the forest and discovered an abandoned 12th century village. We made baguettes and butter from scratch, which we ate for breakfast, yum. The following morning we went on another hike to learn about water-life in the area. Students learned about the delicate ecosystem, how the eco-lodge works as a steward.

D1

On the way back, we stopped at the village of Mazamet to cross the famous “passerelle”, a suspension bridge almost 300 feet above Les Gorges de l'Arnette. All 52 of us crossed, some with more ease than others. I supported a scared student by holding their hand in crossing, but the reality is that I needed support to cross. 

P1

“The Domaine du Thoré was something I wasn't particularly excited about at the beginning of the program, but my expectations were blown away when I made it there. The food was surprisingly good (in my humble opinion) and the amenities were fantastic. The views were absolutely beautiful, and it allowed me to just appreciate the beauty of nature as I grew closer to my classmates. I was also pleasantly surprised by how friendly the staff and activity leaders were. We were able to discover the other side of France in its beautiful countryside and forests, and I hope to go there again!” ~Malachi 17, California