¡Vamos España!

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Emily Stow

This past week has been a very busy and exciting week for our Global Navigators! We ended our first full week in Madrid with a visit to La Plaza de Toros "Las Ventas" on Thursday to learn more about the traditions and customs of bullfighting in Spain. Then on Friday, after students presented their first projects in class, they were able to relax and blow off some steam at the Amusement Park of Madrid.

To cap off the week, we all got swept up in the Euro Cup, where the Spanish soccer team won the final game 2-1 against England on Sunday.  The streets have been bursting with chanting, honking, and cheer the last 2 days! 

Now that students are comfortable taking the subway to the CIEE Center every day, small group cultural activities started this week to give them more responsability and independence.  Some groups went to a cooking class to learn how to make paella, tortillas de patatas and a torta de Santiago; others practiced how to dance the traditional Sevillana dance and how to use castanets; and another group learned how to play the cajón, a type of drum that is typically used for Flamenco music.  

It's been quite a lively week for our Global Navigators!