Bringing Madrid Home: How to Infuse Your Wardrobe with Summery Spanish Flair

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Lauren Duda

This week Global Navigator Kate Hutchinson is going to teach us about her experience with fashion in Madrid!! Here is what Kate has learned this month:

From colorful patterns to tailored fits, the unique and fresh fashion scene in Madrid, Spain is an inspiring art form. In fact, I have already planned to incorporate elements of the madrileño style into my wardrobe in the United States by purchasing a few items here and creating a Pinterest mood board. After observing the cool outfits here for the past three weeks, I am excited to shed light on some of my favorite summer fashion trends in Madrid!

First and foremost, bright patterns and colors are everywhere, especially on sundresses. Women often accessorize with matching earrings, necklaces, or shoes to create cohesive and striking looks. Bonus points if a purse matches some aspect of the outfit! Speaking of accessories, decorated sandals are a staple here. The pairing of statement sandals or espadrilles with bright clothing turns outfits into wearable art. Finally, due to the unbeatable summer heat, earth tones incorporating lots of white, cream, and tan are all the rage. One item I have seen worn daily is a white linen vest paired with either business pants or a flowy skirt. Unexpectedly, leopard print is also extremely popular, adding a fun pop of pattern to many outfits. No matter where you shop, you are likely to find something showcasing this trend, whether it is a dress, pants, or shoes.

Men’s fashion in Madrid also differs significantly from that in the United States. When I attended a corrida de toros (or bullfight) during my second week, I counted 30+ people with the same blue long-sleeve linen shirt! Also popular among attendees were white pants and loafers. Overall, business casual attire is very common in Madrid. Along with the idea of elevated style, expect to see well fitted and tailored clothing worn by men in Spain. From shirts to pants, everything is tailored to the man wearing it. In contrast to the United States, skinny jeans are still worn heavily in Madrid. Finally, I had the opportunity to experience the Euro 2024 final between Spain and England during my study abroad. While it may have just been the time of my visit, futból jerseys paired with athletic pants were a common sight, even though athleisure is not typically worn in Spain.

In general, Adidas shoes are incredibly popular among Spaniards. You cannot walk 30 feet in Madrid without seeing someone sporting Adidas sneakers. Unlike the United States, sporty sneakers are paired with nearly every outfit, from button-ups and jeans to skirts and blouses. I am grateful for having the opportunity to experience madrileño style; one of the best lessons I have learned here is never to be afraid to dress up. If you are interested in seeing more of my style, feel free to follow me on Instagram @kateannalisee.