Segovia - Where History Meets Adventure

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Miles Meijer

For our last weekend trip of Session II, we went to Segovia, a city located about an hour and half away from Madrid. Everyone was excited about the cooler weather in Segovia; after consecutive days of around 100 degrees, 92 almost feels like a cool spring day. 

After the bus ride through the Spanish countryside , we arrived and got off the bus right under the impressive Roman aqueduct that carried water to the city. It was fascinating to hear about how the Romans constructed such a large structure with only the tools they had available at the time. In the shadow of the aqueduct, we started our walking tour of the city. We learned all about the old city, including interesting tidbits about the architecture (you can tell which family owned which house because they put their coat of arms above the door), the inhabitants of the city (there was a large Jewish population who left their cultural mark before being driven out during the Spanish Inquisition), and the monuments (the Alcázar, an imposing castle standing at the edge of the city, was modified each time a new person took residence inside). All in all, we learned a lot, saw a lot, and definitely got our steps in! 

After lunch, the day continued with a bus ride to a beautiful lake a little ways outside of Segovia. Everyone jumped into a kayak and paddled around, taking in the striking views. Near the end of the kayak ride, we were able to take a short swim in the refreshing water before drying off and heading back to the bus.

We arrived back in the Madrid tired, but ready for the last week of the program. It's hard to believe how fast time has flown. There have been so many great (and some challenging) moments, but through the good and the bad, everyone has been forming memories that will last a lifetime.