There is much to eat in Madrid! by Kate Effress

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Lauren Duda

Today's blog is a student takeover! Kate Effress in Honors Language and Culture is a foodie who is reporting on her favorite culinary discoveries in Madrid. Take it away, Kate!!

porras

There is lots of time to grab tapas or a pre-dinner snack during free time or a quick lunch after our cultural activities. While exploring Madrid, I've found a few favorites. Su Típico Bocadillo near puerta del sol is an amazing place to grab a bocadillo con calamares before Spanish class. I had never heard of this kind of sandwich before coming here and it has become one of my favorite snacks! Los Torreznos in north Madrid has the best tapas. A friend and I tried their torreznos, tortilla de patata , and chopitos . The food is cheap and worth the trip. There are also lots of tapas shops closer to the CIEE centers which make it easy to indulge is Spanish culture after class or an activity. My personal favorite is Wacamole, a small restaurant on a side street of SOL that serves 1€ tacos! The meat here is amazing and when added to a taco it's incredible. Ham is served everywhere and in everything, including croissants, bocadillos, empanadas, and tostadas. The fruit here has so much more flavor than in the U.S. and is popular in juices and even as a type of boba. A popular favorite is Día, a supermarket with extremely cheap bread, fruit, and baked goods. They can be found on basically any street for a quick baguette or donut. I can't wait to explore more restaurants and try more Spanish cuisine!!

If you're interested about Spanish food, follow my food blog @goudafoooda on instagram for more!

jamon