Telling Stories

Creative Writing in the Land of Lochs & Legends

Marina Flores

At the Edinburgh Storytelling center, students were sucked into the story that instructor Kirsten's told, about the greed of a king. It had us on at the edge of our seats. Kirsten had students engaged in activities for them to learn the importance in inflection when telling a story, how to show a story through body language, and how to show through telling. 

Students were handed emotions and given the same sentence. From happy to confused, we saw how important inflection is. With a scene to act out, students played a game of charades. This had them learning to show and grab an audience when telling a story. While playing the game In the Streets of Rome, we all learned if we had long or short term memory loss. Repeating what the others next to us had said, we showed a scene with our memory.

With the new understanding of how to tell a story versus just simply reading off a page, students were able to go into a recording studio with the ability to tell a story with a voice that grabs the listener.