Student Takeover: Gioia Marchi

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Megan Hoeffler

One of our participants, Gioia Marchi, from New York, wrote the following:

“When I found out I'd been accepted to study in Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic, I began investigating what life is like there. One trend I discovered was that Dominicans are recognized for their friendliness and outgoing personality, which contrasts with that of American society that values individualism and independence. 

Personally, I like starting conversations, whether it's with a simple "Good Morning" or asking someone about their day. I've discovered that when you connect with Dominicans, they are equally open and eager to give their thoughts and ideas. For example, at the NGOs where we volunteer at, basic questions like "cual es tu deporte favorito" or "que tipo de musica escuchas" are enough to break the ice and form connections. Every child I've met has been ready to share their passions and stories, and I've been eager to learn from them.

As I've lived here, I've seen that Dominicans are incredibly friendly. My observations have shown me that they are approachable, and eager to assist strangers like myself. It's a big change from New York, where talks tend to be more transactional and fast-paced.

Every new connection built and relationship made in Santiago stems from curiosity and empathy-something taught to me by the Dominican people I've had the privilege to meet”.