Street Art Workshop in Paris: Ça s'est bien passé!

French Language & Culture

Yismelle Duran

This week we learned and we had fun creating street art in Paris. Hugo, our favorite Parisian tagger, taught the groups of students the techniques to create shapes and fill forms with spray paint. 

For most students this was the first time they were doing something of the sort, and to be honest so was I. The purpose of this activity is to stimulate the students' creativity through the exploration of urban artistic expression. 

This workshop took place at Bercy Skatepark, which is well known in Paris for its walls painted with colorful graffiti. 

First, students had the opportunity to draft on paper their ideas for short phrases and designs that they wanted to incorporate on the mural that they were about to create. 

Then, each one of them shared their ideas and after voting for their favorite they started to learn how to do lettering with spray paint. 

Hugo was there to guide the creative process and offer support. Each student displayed an excellent representation of teamwork, collaboration, and group effort!  

When they saw their designs coming into shape it was very fulfilling. I heard one student say “I didn’t think it was going to turn out this good.” Indeed, they felt very proud of what they created during this hands-on activity.