The Start of Something New

Leadership & Service in Public Health

Albert Reyes

Connecting from the Airport to Community

Travelling from all parts of the United States, students had a layover flight where we met for the first time.

:)

Upon leaving the airport, students received cards and chocolates. Students were embraced with the loving and warming nature of Dominican culture.  

Day 1:  

Who knew yarn can show how connected we are?  

Students toss the yarn after introducing themselves to everyone from their hometown to their favorite hobbies, and even showing their victory dances. We are a community here to support and be there for students.

We had lots of fun!! :)

Calle Del Sol Adventures: Souvenirs and Essentials in Santiago, Dominican Republic.

Our recent adventure in Santiago, DR, was an incredible experience we won’t forget, walking along Calle del Sol, a beautiful street brimming with local culture and a lot of shopping options.

:=)

As we strolled down Calle del Sol, the energy of the street was amazing, our first stop was a souvenir shop called “Mercado Modelo” adorned with an array of Dominican crafts. Something important is that we couldn’t resist picking up a few captivating treasures to remember this memorable trip. I’m certain that anytime we see what we got from that store, we are going to transport to the island’s rich heritage and this special and bonding moment we had.

Buying Souvenirs

After that with our hearts full of joy but also souvenirs, we went to La Sirena Market, one of Santiago’s largest and most popular supermarkets. It’s a one stop shop for everything you could possibly need, and we navigated through the aisle and picked some essentials to the rest of our trip!!! :)

Our day on Calle del Sol was filled with emotions, laughter, curiosity and overall, a deep appreciation for the local culture. If you’re planning a trip to the Dominican Republic, a visit to Calle del Sol is a must.

Immerse yourself in the local atmosphere, we are sure you won’t regret it.

:)

Albert E Reyes Pérez , Program Leader.

Magaly Cabrera Ortiz, Program leader.