Finding Inspiration Everywhere

Leadership & Service in Public Health

Hospitals Tours

Hospital Tours

CIEE Public Health program had the opportunity to tour one public and private hospital to understand the fundamental differences. Hospital Regional Jose Maria Cabral y Baez was the public hospital attended. They found that public hospitals does not charge extra for services and all needs cannot be met in one location. They learned in a private hospital that there is more convenience in where you can be served. It would come at an additional cost to receive treatment at such location. The private hospital, Corominas has grown immensely since the opening in 1944. It now offers teaching college, so many students expressed interest in attending such a university attached to such a great hospital. It was amazing to see the spark in their eyes after the tours and the side conversations about how they would proceed in their lives aiming towards their goals of working in the medical field. 

Mirabal Sisters

Collage

Walking into a house with such rich history of the three sisters who impacted their community for the better was so empowering. Their names were Patria, Minerva, and Maria Mirabal. They were Dominican activist who spoke out against their dictator and revolted against them. Even though they were killed they made an impact on their local community and was able to have a ripple effect on our students. They had an opportunity to discuss other activist that made impacts all over the world and then their final question was after learning all about these monumental women, how will you choose to advocate for change. 

It was a great way to cause the students to reflect on their impact on the world and how one decision can effect many others coming behind them. Some students expressed that they are actively involved in political groups that protest against laws and procedures that are being put into place back home in the United States. Some expressed they would like to get more involved in advocating for rights for people. Overall going to the home of the Maribal sisters was extremely inspiring to the students within the CIEE Dominican Republic experience, hopefully that inspiration will turn into action in the future our future leaders.  

Personal Hygiene Activities with Students

Personal Hygiene

Within the local community the CIEE Public Health Program has been spending time at a summer camp. This particular day, the students learned more about personal hygiene. Emphasizing the importance of brushing their teeth, three times a day. As well as making sure to wash hands to prevent the spread of germs. There was an activity that went along with prevention of spreading germs. The students were broken up into smaller groups and had an activity that demonstrated  what happens when you do not wash your hands versus when you do. It was a great activity the kids loved it and after the presentation, they received their own tooth brush and tooth paste. 

It was a great few days filled with inspirational information and activities. It was a great experience to give back, to observe the medical systems here in the Dominican Republic, and to learn about their heroes.  As we wind down to our last week, I am wondering what journey the students will embark on next. Once again, stay tuned!