Service Day 2

Hello Everyone!

Today was yet another fantastic day in Santo Domingo! It was our second day at our service site and it was apparent that strong bonds are forming fast between the CIEE and Don Bosco students. We began the morning dancing with the students and then broke off into our small groups. We did different arts and crafts projects depending on the age of the students. When the kids finished with their craft, various CIEE students started to teach them some English words, others began learning to dance bachata, and more shared different hand games. 

Everyone is feeling very positive about their new friendships at the service site. Many have been challenged to speak more and more Spanish each day as the kids ask them questions about their home, family, and favorite types of music.

After lunch with host families, their afternoon was spent working through some activities that are part of the service and leadership curriculum. We had a long discussion with the group about the story behind our names. This helped us get to know each other better but also talk about cultural differences. Tomorrow we are off to the zoo with the Don Bosco students in the morning and learning to cook Dominican food in the afternoon! Check in tomorrow night for more on those activities!

-Heather