Seoul Photo Essay

K-Pop Immersion

Seoul Photo Essay

Taylor Zachary

Following our arrival in Seoul, our time has been spent exploring and learning about the Korean culture and all it's intricacies. It's one thing to learn about it, yet it's an entirely different experience getting out into the city to see it for ourselves. It has been absolutely incredible. One thing I have found particularly intriguing during our inner-city escapades is the contrast between the new and the old. The harmony and clash of the modern and the historical. Seoul is a city on the cutting edge of the technological innovation and architecture, and yet it maintains and preserves its deep cultural roots. 

Deoksugung Palace - 7/11/17

Contrasting colorful traditions to geometric present. 

Deoksugung Palace - 7/11/17

Wood and stone to glass and iron. 

Gyeongbokgung Palace - 7/16/17

A major thoroughfare runs right by the entrance to what was once the imperial palace. The palace was built so that from his throne the king could see all of his subjects, including the commoners. As people drive by this historic seat of power, the ancient seat of power is perfectly in view.

Jahamun-ro - 7/13/17

Opposing residential facades. 

Jongo-gu Area - 7/16/17

Some historical areas truly feel like a step back in time… until someone pulls out a cell phone. 

Namsangol Hanok Village - 7/16/17

Homestay looked a lot different at one point in time.