In Roma We Trust

Creative Writing in the Land of Gods & Heroes

Justice Amick

It is safe to say that creative writing has finally completed their first full week abroad in Rome. There have been many a trial and tribulation but everyone is powering through as we begin to settle into our routines.

Students at the Trevi

A typical day with creative writing looks like morning class with one of our exceptional professors studying mythology or functional Italian. This is either in the classroom or on site at one of the various places in Rome such as museums and villas. The students are currently learning about Hercules, mythological storytelling in art and how to ask basic questions in Italian.

Students in class

Some of the highlights of our first week include:

-> Visiting the Villa Borghese where students admired statues of historical Roman figures, ooed and awed at ceiling art and rode pedal bikes

Villa Borghese

-> Officially trying over 8 different flavors of gelato including strattecella, limon, pistachio, chocolate, rose, lavender, Greek yogurt and mango

-> Taking a day trip to Sperlonga where students got to see a seaside mansion and enjoy some cooling waves when it got over 100 degrees in Rome

Sperlonga

-> A pasta making class where they made gnocchi and then ate their creation

Pasta making class

-> side quests to shop, chat, explore and wonder more than before

On Tuesday students will finally be able to answer the final question they have been pondering from week one: Is the colosseum truly…colossal? Stick around to find out what riveting things they have to say.