Reform and Rehabilitation

Creative Writing in the Land of Lochs & Legends

Marina Flores

Students attended a tour of the Old Town Jail in Stirling yesterday. They learned of the horrid conditions that incarcerated people dealt with throughout history. That was until Frederic Hill came to the prison in Stirling as an inspector. He was the first to push for reform in the prison in Stirling. He believed that those who were incarcerated should still be treated as people and helped them to grow and become better people. They were also taught different trades so that when they were released they could be integrated into society. 

Not only was reform happening in Stirling but also in Glasgow where William Brebner believed there was good in everyone and is seen an inspirational humanitarian to this day. He then pushed for single-occupied cells so they could stay away from bad influences. His format was to make the experience of solitary confinement a positive one.

Not only did the tours teach us history but also the present and future. In the gift shop of the jail, there were products for sale that support those who have been previously incarcerated. The chocolate bars supported those "who touched the Scottish criminal justice system and are choosing to make positive changes in their lives". The beauty in these products to support others shows how the future can change and help others. 

With the theatrical teachings by a wonderful actor, students were able to be engaged in the history.