Reflections on the visit to the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Stephanie Humphrey

A recap of our visit to the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, by Fabiha

On Wednesday, after a morning of Arabic and Darija lessons, we were given amazing shawarmas for lunch by the staff. Soon after, we were on our way to Casablanca. During the hour and a half bus ride, friends talked with each other, shared snacks, and played card games. I love bus rides with CIEE because we have built such a strong community. 

When we arrived at the Hassan II Mosque, I was blown away by the sheer size and grandeur of the outside itself. There were intricate designs with outstanding pillars and artwork. You could smell and feel the ocean breeze. It sent goosebumps while simultaneously a feeling of peace as well.

When I entered the museum, it was filled with geometric shapes and calligraphy. Muslims are not allowed to draw faces because they believe you are mimicking Allah’s creation. However, this did not stop their creativity and expression. None of these beautiful calligraphers or artists had names because they view art as a form of worship to God which I thought was beautiful. Friends around me were taking photos and trying to etch the images into their minds, just like me.

Afterwards, we went inside the masjid (mosque). We had to take off our shoes to enter, which makes sure that the mosque is clean and well-kept. It is also viewed as a sign of respect to God. We had a few minutes before the tour guide came so students began analyzing the interior by themselves. My eyes looked left, right, straight, down, and finally up. When I looked up, I was blown away. There were intricate domes filled with endless designs. How could anyone draw that? I laid down on the carpet for a second memorizing it. 

When the tour began we gained more perspectives on the masjid. The tour guide told us about the materials granite and marble that were extracted in Morocco and a few from Spain. 

On the bus ride back, we sang 90s hits, Moana, and even the theme song from Sofia the first. Everyone wants to make memories, and so when the chance comes, we take it  

As I listened to the collective voices of my friends singing, I was reminded of how lucky I am. How lucky I was to be able to see a different way of life and immerse myself in it. How lucky I am to hear the adhan, to say salam, and to gain a glimpse into others lives.