A Provincial Weekend Getaway

Georgianna Horton

When most people think of France, they think of charming cities, quaint boulangeries, and picturesque scenes along a river. And while all of that exists here in Toulouse, the program participants were able to step away for the weekend and enjoy another part of France: the countryside. France uses its farmland and countryside for various agricultural ventures ranging from livestock to vineyards to forestry, all of which behoove the local French citizens as well as our group of American students! For our Global Navigators, it’s important to see all aspects of France in order to fully immerse themselves into the local culture and see another way of life in deep France. Our grandiose group of students were spread over two weekends, and the students were afforded two different yet equally engaging experiences!

Following an early Saturday morning bus ride, students were taken to either an intriguing cave or a wondrous farm. In each of these venues, students were able to engage with a surrounding that they aren’t necessarily used to, both in their lives here in Toulouse and in the USA. Following their first adventure, students were ushered to Domain du Thoré outside of Black Mountain, where they claimed camp for the night in dorms and continued the excursion. The adventurers made bracelets, bread, and beaucoup memories as the day continued. From wading in a pond to singing to scare off the mythical wild boar Néné, this weekend showed us a different walk of life. I could try and summarize the experiences of the students, but they have expressed their sentiments for themselves:

“Domain du Thoré was tons of fun! Getting to go inside the cave was so cool. I really liked the activity where we learned about the types of bugs and going on the walk to see the abandoned houses. The hike was so pretty and exploring the little town at the top was awesome.” -Julia D. (Sharon, MA)

“It was super fun !! very active!! We did a lot of different outdoor activities like hiking and crossing a cool bridge we also learned a lot for example we made bread and butter:) It was good way to disconnect and get to know everyone in the program !! It also made us grow closer together :)”  -Betzabeth C. (Egg Harbor Township, NJ)

“I liked making bread and butter. It turned out really good. My favorite part was getting to see the medieval town.” -Anna B. (Ankeny , IA)

“I really enjoyed learning about the biodiversity in the pond in French and playing in the river.” -Natalie C. (Madison, WI)

"I loved going on a hike and learning the history of the abandoned buildings there." -Leah K. (Shelton, CT)

"I thought the Domain du Thoré really fun. I really enjoyed making the bread and fishing for the bugs. It was really interesting. The food was really good and I got many more memories and get closer with my friends." -Jeremy R. (New York City, NY)

Over the course of the weekend, the students were able to learn about an unfamiliar lifestyle, which is in fact what they’ve been doing over the past three weeks in Toulouse. In expanding their horizons and taking new opportunities head on, these students are able to do more than improve their French: they are gaining a new sense pride in themselves while developing life-long friendships. We are leaving only footprints, and taking away so much more!