Plastic Pollution and Anatomy Lab

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Sartu Taha

This week, the students learned about micro and macroplastic pollution. They spent the previous day collecting samples of spheroids, which are balls of dead sea grass, from the beach. Today, they got microscopes and dissected the spheroids.

Photo for blog post Plastic Pollution and Anatomy Lab

Their objective was to identify if any micro or macroplastics were present. Impressively, very few micro plastics were found, indicating the cleanliness of the beach where they were collected from. 

Next, Carme, the instructor, showed the students how to dissect a red mullus. She started by identifying the different organs of the fish and how to carefully extract them. Then, it was the students turn! Not all were enthusiastic about dissecting the fish, but they all tried their best.

​ ​

Some students were even able to observe living parasites, called anisaki. Alton found the anisaki pictured below in the intestines of the red mullus.      

This lab gave the students the opportunity to experience the kinds of investigations that researchers carry out in the laboratory. Some are even looking forward to a career in research!