Notre Excursion à Saint-Malo

Honors French Language & Culture

This weekend, the Rennes-agades had an excursion to Saint-Malo. As we learned, Saint-Malo has a rich history of being very independent. In fact, Saint-Malo is one of the only cities that has the right to fly their flag higher than the French flag and there is a famous saying there- "Ni Français, ni Breton, Malouin suis" which means "I'm not French or Breton, I'm Malouin."

We had the opportunity to do two different tours in Saint-Malo, in addition to some temps libre. First, we got to visit the Demeure de Corsaire which is a house that belonged to a privateer. Almost 80% of the town was destroyed by Allied bombing during World War II, but this house wasn't. We learned a lot about what privateers did during peace time and during war and got to see the privateer's warehouse and office.

After some free time for lunch, we got to take a tour of the walled city. It was cold and a little rainy, but the students were troupers! 

The rain cleared up by the end of the tour, and we had some great views from the top of the ramparts. 

We even enjoyed an impromptu concert from one of our own while we were waiting for the bus!

We were exhausted by the end of the trip but we all had a great time.