A New Week & New Experiences

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Anaya Benzan

Monday

NGO

To start off the week, students visited the NGO to continue playing with the children. After a fun-filled weekend, it was rejuvenating to reconnect with the children and see their smiling faces. The activities for our session included participating in their morning greeting and dancing and game routine. Being involved in their routine is especially meaningful because it shows we are joining their community and learning from them. 

dance

Workshop

Students then attended their afternoon Youth Development class where they learned about and discussed the United Nations Goals and privilege. The students' discussion highlighted their goals for their final projects, their experiences in service, and their reflections about their experiences in the United States. 

Carnival 

Finally, to finish the day, students learned about Dominican Carnival by hearing a fabulous presentation. The presentation described Dominican Carnival’s origins and history, highlighting the heavy African influence and customs within the annual and heavily anticipated tradition. 

car

Then, students spent time painting different Carnival figures, many of which incorporated red and yellow, two of the most popular Dominican Carnival colors! 

carnival

Tuesday 

NGO

Students returned to the site to engage and play with the children. During service today, students participated in the daily routines and transitioned to small group work with the children. In their small groups, everyone collaborated to create a short story. The activity was quite enriching for the children because they worked on various skills: group work, writing, speaking, sharing, presenting, etc. At the same time, the activity was powerful for the students because they worked on their facilitation and leadership skills, as well as their Spanish reading, writing, and speaking skills. To conclude the activity, each group presented their stories to the group, which was very interesting to see them share! 

play

Lunch On Their Own

Many students used this opportunity to try new foods that they hadn’t before or to visit a local cafe that they’ve enjoyed throughout their time here. Some of these foods include pastries, empanadas, mofongo, and helado

During this lunch, it was great seeing how well students have expressed their interest in trying new things, and supporting their peers by connecting during their free time. It is always great hearing about their friendship development stories. 

Spanish Class

The students continued to practice their Spanish in their classes, where they work on grammar, speaking, listening, and writing!

Structured Free Time 

During their structured free time, students explored the city with their staff, peers, host families, and locals. Student’s activities varied from going on the city’s cable cars, eating at restaurants by the monument, and going shopping downtown. All of which seemed to be a great experience for the students. 

Stay tuned to hear more about our experiences!