Moi, j’ose! Toi, tu ose?

French Language & Culture

Elizabeth Mbunya
Photo for blog post Moi, j’ose! Toi, tu ose?
1-2-3, allons-y!

Students hit the ground running...there are only 4 weeks. They need to make the most of what they have learned in class. ‘OZlefrançais dans la rue’ is what it is called here in Toulouse. It’s one thing to learn the theory of a language and study vocab from a textbook at home, but it’s an entirely different thing to speak the language and spend every day surrounded by it. And, while both of these methods can help my students gain valuable language skills, only one of them has been proven to turbocharge a student's language learning (hint – it’s not staying at home).

Today, students interacted with Toulousains (locals). They carried out community conversations on diverse topics. They are curious to know about "la Ville Rose" all the while staying in the language. On y va! 

The locals are friendly.

Talking to a local at Marché des Carmes.

Conversations ranged from; où suis-je? (Where am I?), students meet the locals to find out where they are from?….Toulouse or Albi, Blagnac or Ramonville? Their likes/dislikes? Best places to go out to eat; food- miam, miam. Cafés are everywhere,  what to eat around Toulouse…..Ça te plaît? Sure, the city’s pink-brick streets are lined with modern restaurants that run the gamut from taco joints to sushi bars, but among these are Toulouse's soul-warming classics that are known to come from the region like the cassoulet, foie gras, pâté, confit. The locals are all friendly, and the students discovered that there are some Hotspots famous in Toulouse. These are Carmes, Jean Jaures, la Garonne, la Capitole...more to come for sure. 

En conversation!

J'ose le francais dans la rue!