A Look Into the World of Airbus

Aerospace Engineering

Noah Curtin

Airbus is integral to the history and future of Toulouse, France. The titan of the aerospace industry is based right here in the city and employs 23,000 of its residents. To understand this beautiful city, you must first get an understanding of Airbus, and the CIEE students were fortunate to do just that.

The students got the opportunity to connect their knowledge in the classroom by taking a tour of the Airbus campus. The tour started by viewing iconic Airbus aircrafts from the past and learning of their significance toward future developments. One of these aircrafts was the A400M, famously known for Tom Cruise hanging off of it in a scene from "Mission: Impossible." From there we made our way to the flight test area, getting a peak into the depths of testing before a commercial aircraft becomes ready for action. 

One of the highlights came at an up close look at the A320 assembly line. Students were able to see in real time the process of assembling Airbus' bestselling aircraft and one that has transported a number of people totaling the entire population of the world! However, we weren't done there. The unwrapped present under the tree came in the form of the Airbus Beluga XL. Students came hopeful to get a glimpse of the Beluga, of which there are only seven in existence. The cargo carrying aircraft has created buzz around the world for it's impressive capacity, and it's resemblance to a beluga whale. The gargantuan plane did not disappoint lighting up the eyes of the students and leaders alike! A few students also caught a glimpse of the Beluga soaring the skies later in the week smiling over a picturesque night in the south of France.

It was a fantastic experience with Airbus. Students walked away impressed and excited about the industry they travelled so far to learn about, a fine example of the impact of experiential learning. The afternoon with Airbus ignited the fires of the next generation of aerospace engineers!