Le Musée de Beaux Arts de Rennes

Honors French Language & Culture

On Tuesday for our Into the Community activity, we got to tour the Musée de Beaux Arts de Rennes -the Fine Arts Museum. Although it is smaller than many of the famous art museums in Paris, it has a diverse collection of realist, impressionist and modern art. There is even a Picasso painting there, as well as several mummies!

First, we discussed how painters mixed their pigments and created some of the amazing chefs d'œuvres (masterpieces) that we saw. Our guide was very knowledgeable and told us about the processes that the artists used and showed us a few of the paintings in the museum's collection.

Next, students worked with a partner to complete a questionnaire about their favorite work of art in the building. Students had a wide variety of preferences.

Finally, students had time to explore the museum's collection on their own (and with the program leaders!) 

Comme d'habitude, students had some time after the ITC activity to hang out in the city before they headed back to their houses. Some students went hunting for souvenirs, while others had a quick snack since it is customary for French people to eat dinner at 8 or 9 pm! Everyone was instructed to get a good night's rest though since Wednesday is our first excursion to Mont-Saint-Michel and the ancient village of Dinan!