Kutná Hora: Week 1 Weekend Trip

Art-Making in Prague's Creative Studios

Nathalie Vincent

Saturday morning began with a 9:00 AM departure from Prague, with the students buzzing with excitement for their adventure to Kutná Hora, a town steeped in rich history and famed for its medieval silver mines. After a scenic bus ride of about an hour, they arrived in this quaint town, known for its historical architecture and significant mining heritage. 

Sedlec Ossuary: The Bone Church- The first stop was the Sedlec Ossuary, famously known as the Bone Church. This unique chapel, adorned with the bones of approximately 40,000 people, was an unforgettable sight. The local guide shared the fascinating story of how the cemetery had to be expanded, leading to the exhumation and artistic arrangement of bones by František Rint in the 16th century. Walking into the chapel, the students were awestruck by the intricate and somewhat eerie displays made from human bones, including a chandelier that purportedly contains at least one of every bone in the human body. 

St. Barbara's Cathedral: Next, the students visited the magnificent St. Barbara's Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This Gothic masterpiece took over 500 years to complete and stands as a testament to the town's mining heritage, with St. Barbara being the patron saint of miners. The cathedral's stunning architecture, intricate frescoes depicting mining scenes, and beautiful stained-glass windows left everyone in awe. 

Local Cuisine After a morning of exploration, the group enjoyed a delicious lunch at a local restaurant, where they indulged in traditional Czech dishes like svíčková and goulash. The hearty meal provided the perfect fuel for the adventures that lay ahead. 

Medieval Mines: In the afternoon, the students donned white robes and helmets equipped with lights for their descent into the medieval silver mines. The guides led them through the narrow passages, sharing stories of the miners' lives and the significance of silver mining in Kutná Hora's history. One of the most memorable moments was when everyone turned off their lights, experiencing complete darkness. It was both thrilling and humbling to imagine the miners working in such conditions. 

Free Time After emerging from the mines, the students had some free time to explore the town. Some visited local shops, while others wandered the picturesque streets, soaking in the medieval charm. It was a perfect end to a day filled with history and adventure.