From Classrooms to Cobblestones: Discovering Prague

Art-Making in Prague's Creative Studios

Nathalie Vincent

We have been busy!   

Recently, students have begun to immerse themselves in their new Czech surroundings by beginning to learn more about the language and culture of Prague in a daily workshop at the CIEE Center.  Learning a new language, especially Czech, is no small feat, but the students are shining in class according to their instructor.     

After our cultural immersion, students were able to showcase their singing skills at karaoke.  Do you have any requests?  Between songs, students enjoyed pizza with their new friends and fellow artists.   

The highlight of the week, so far, has been the guided tour of Prague, which began at Wenceslas Square.  Despite the rain, the students soaked up the city’s vibe, architecture, and ambiance.  We were able to see the music hall where Mozart debuted “Don Giovanni” and see Prague’s famous Astronomical Clock, which dates back to 1410.  It is the third oldest in the world and the oldest still in operation.   

Making our way through the cobblestone streets of Prague, we next stopped at the medieval stone Charles Bridge, which has crossed the Vltava River since 1357 under the reign of King Charles IV.   

We finished our tour of the winding streets of Prague with a sweet treat of gelato at the famous Creme de la Creme, which claims to “make the best Italian gelato in Prague!”  And you know what?  They are not wrong!   

Written By: Robbie Boshears