K-beauty standards ( Brenda)

K-Pop Immersion

Brenda. A

Dr. Saeji 

28 July, 2017 

Reflection: Standards of beauty in Korea on women & men 

K-beauty. A type of skin and beauty care that is starting to sell well in the American Market. Even though it is thriving, many still know little about South Korea's standards of beauty. Since it has started to enter the American market, one must know what their type of beauty standards are. Korea's standards of beauty can be argued as one of the toughest standards of beauty to fulfill since it's standard has some western influence, and a Korean perspective on it. Plus it does not only target women from all ages, but men as well. They are expected to look beautiful (face wise), have a good fashion sense, and if needed get plastic surgery to fix whatever “ugly” they might have either facial or physical. In other words the standards of beauty in Korea on women and men are intensely demanding on it's citizens. 

One way South Korea's beauty standards are demanding on it's citizens is that it expects everyone to look presentable since that is considered to be etiquette. One way it makes sure it's people remembers that, is by having various beauty stores everywhere. You can always find one in any street of a busy city (ex. Seoul.) The pressure to have a clean, white, and pretty skin or face is intense. Not only do beauty stores intensely pressures men and women, but they try to gain attention with sales or ads of the most famous idols/actors. This makes people believe that if their favorite idols looks like this, or likes that product it will make them closer to their idol, and acceptable to society since everyone appreciates or likes that idol/ actor. Not only is skin care & makeup heavily promoted but if you aren't as pretty as a certain famous figure, or pretty for society's standards the locals(& family)  themselves will advise you to get plastic surgery to “enhance” your looks. It is even very common to get plastic surgery as a gift from graduating high school if you could fix your physique.

Overall the standards of beauty in Korea are not only expected in K-Pop singers, actors, or models. But it is expected from the actual locals, and citizens of Korea. Not only to look presentable in facial, & physical features but if something can be fixed with plastic surgery it is advised to get one, to fix it. As seen this kind of pressure on anyone would be extremely demanding, hence making South Korea's beauty standard one of the most debatable hardest standards of beauty.