Homage to the Legacy of Advocates and Matrys

Leadership & Service in Public Health

Magaly Cabrera-Ortiz

An individual may question which voice to follow whether from societal norms or their voice as a changemaker. What challenges do advocates face? 

Students toured the Mirabal Sisters Museum, in Salcedo, learning about the Mirabal Sister’s (also known as The Butterflies) impact on Dominican history and culture. Outspoken against the Trujillo dictatorship, the Mirabal Sisters' efforts and the eventual assassinations of three of the four sisters led to the demise of the Trujillo dictatorship. Students walked through time in their original home, walking past belongings and artifacts. 

Learning About Manolo Tavárez, Dominican Leader

Students learned about the husband of one of the sisters, Manuel Tavárez, "Manolo", and his impact as an activist.

After the guided tour, students began reflecting as a group and learned about and taught each other about other contemporary female activists and their influence on social justice. Students concluded by making a butterfly, in honor of The Mirabal Sisters, representing freedom and independence, the basis of their efforts to free the Dominican Republic.

Activity in Creating a Group Butterfly

Students display teamwork to create a group butterfly, in honor of The Mirabal Sisters, who are also known as The Butterflies.

It is with hope students become better advocates in their communities and know how their voice matters in their daily lives.