Hello from Kyoto!

Japanese Language & Culture

Hello from Kyoto!

We arrived in Kyoto on Friday and our time here has been jam-packed with activities since our first day here.

In Japanese, there's a proverb that goes "hyakubun wa ikken ni shikazu". That more or less translates to "a picture is worth a thousand words". Let's put that proverb to the test by looking at the following photos :)

Students getting ready to travel on the Shinkansen "Bullet Train" from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Fushimi Inari Taisha in Kyoto can be a place where some people find it easy to get lost, but as our students are demonstrating, it can also be an ideal location to embrace new challenges and boldly embrace what lies ahead.

It's true, almost anyone can prepare tea. But to prepare and drink tea at a Japanese tea ceremony, there may be some points to keep in mind that aren't all that intuitive. An example of this is noticed when students learn to create a slurping sound when they drink the last sip from their tea cups.

Students had an opportunity to explore Kinkajuji with friends. This cultural experience helped the students to reflect on Japan's past, and to see what role they play in Japan's present situation and future.

Students had a chance to enjoy Sushi of their choice at a "Kaiten Zushi" restaurant.

Visiting Arashiyama gave the students a wonderful opportunity to first-hand experience aspects of Japan's natural environment including refreshing rivers, lush bamboo forests, and mountains inhabited by monkeys.

Visiting Kiomizudera gave the students an opportunity to put the inner-peace techniques that they've learned to the test :)

Everyday our students get our best with each teacher doing as much as possible to encourage both teamwork and leadership.

After leaving Kiomizudera, we headed out for a 60 minute all you can eat shabushabu experience.

After eating, we set off for Nijoujou Castle and enjoyed the surrounding  gardens as well.

We finished off our day of excursions designing art handkerchiefs using traditional Japanese designs.

Thank you for reading and please stay tuned for more adventures from Japan!

Curtis Wright 

Shinkansen Picture

Fushimi Inari Taisha Picture

Tea Ceremony Photo

Kiomizuderu Photo 5

Kiomizuderu Photo 5

Kiomizuderu Photo 5

Kiomizuderu Photo 5

Kiomizuderu Photo 5

Shabu Shabu