Games Galore!

Video Game Design

Larry Bogan

Last week, we visited Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto, renowned for its contributions to game studies and its impressive archives. The students were thrilled to explore the extensive collection of games and game hardware, spanning decades of gaming history. From vintage consoles to classic game titles, they delved into the evolution of gaming, gaining a deeper appreciation for the technological advancements and creative innovations that have shaped the industry.

We also reserved a conference room at the university, which we transformed into a mini-arcade. The students had the chance to play a variety of games, both old and new, fostering a spirit of camaraderie and friendly competition. This hands-on experience not only reinforced their passion for game design but also provided them with practical insights into game mechanics and player engagement.

Over the weekend, we attended BitSummit, Japan's premier independent game festival held in Kyoto. This event was a highlight of the trip, offering a vibrant showcase of indie games and providing a platform for students to interact with developers, designers, and industry experts from around the world.

At BitSummit, the students were able to:

Playtest Indie Games: Experiencing a diverse range of indie games gave students a firsthand look at innovative gameplay mechanics and unique storytelling techniques.

Network with Professionals: Meeting game developers and industry veterans offered valuable insights into the realities of game development and potential career paths.

Attend Panels and Workshops: Educational sessions on game design, development, and marketing provided practical knowledge and inspiration for their own projects.

Our budding designers couldn't have spent their final weekend in Japan in a more inspiring way. With one more week to go, we invite you to stay tuned for even more exciting adventures and experiences to come.