Gaelic Games Meet Irish Ballads

Advocating for Social Justice

Samantha Bendoff

Studying abroad transcends academic enrichment; it involves fully embracing and immersing oneself in the local culture. For CIEE Social Justice Dublin students, this immersion has been vividly brought to life through their exploration of Irish culture, spanning Gaelic sports and traditional music. Recently, they engaged firsthand with Ireland’s iconic games—hurling, Gaelic football, and handball—and experienced the magic of Irish music and storytelling on a lively ballad tour.

Gaelic Sports: An Athletic Dive into Tradition

Hurling, one of Ireland’s oldest and fastest field sports, was the first on the students’ cultural itinerary. Guided by an experienced Irish coach, they learned to handle the hurley, practicing striking, catching, and soloing (bouncing the sliotar on the hurley while running). Engaging in drills and a quick game, they got a taste of hurling’s dynamic and high-paced nature. By the end of the session, they gained a newfound appreciation for the agility and precision required in this ancient sport, feeling both exhilarated and culturally enriched.

Next, the students immersed themselves in Gaelic football, another pillar of Irish athletic tradition. They participated in drills to master essential skills such as soloing (kicking the ball while running), hand-passing, and scoring. The practice matches highlighted the sport’s strategic depth and the teamwork and physical endurance it demands. Many students found the experience both fun and challenging, offering an engaging insight into a beloved Irish game.

Finally, the students were introduced to the fundamentals of handball. Learning basic strokes, positioning, and strategies, they quickly adapted to this fast-paced sport through friendly matches. Despite being less familiar with handball, the students embraced its competitive spirit and enjoyed honing their hand-eye coordination.

Ballad Tour: A Melody of Stories and Dance

After their foray into Gaelic sports, the CIEE Dublin students continued their cultural immersion on an enchanting ballad tour. Guided by the charismatic Sean, they wandered through Dublin’s storied streets, listening to traditional Irish songs and captivating tales. The students not only learned about the history and folklore embedded in the music but also joined in spontaneous street dances. The tour brought to life the rich tradition of Irish storytelling, where songs and stories are intertwined to celebrate the nation’s heritage.

Sean’s energetic storytelling and musical talent provided the students with a deeper understanding of Ireland’s cultural heartbeat. From heartfelt ballads to lively jigs, the ballad tour was a joyous and interactive way to experience Ireland’s musical legacy.

CIEE Social Justice Dublin students’ immersion in Gaelic sports and traditional music was an unforgettable journey into Irish culture. From the hurling pitch and Gaelic football field to the musical streets of Dublin, they embraced the spirit of Ireland, enriching their study abroad experience in meaningful ways. As they return to their academic routines, the lessons and joys from their cultural adventures will remain cherished highlights of their time in Dublin.