Explorons! Exploring Rennes with the 5 Senses.

Honors French Language & Culture

Emma Butler

This week, students explored Rennes with all 5 senses- la vue, l'odorat, le toucher, l'ouïe, and le goût.

At L'Atelier Gourmand, students worked together to make sablé breton, a local pastry garnished with chantilly and salted caramel.

Photo for blog post Explorons! Exploring Rennes with the 5 Senses.

Students also used their senses during a walking tour of Rennes. On the tour, students were asked to use their 5 senses to discover local materials, foods, and places!

Using la vue, students had to look and find symbols amongst the timbered buildings.

Students touched materials used in the timbered buildings using le toucher- what material was in the bag? Materials included slate, wood, and sand.

Students relied on their friends to help them navigate the cobblestone streets while blindfolded, listening to their directions and using l'ouïe to reach the other side of the street. The trashcans added an extra obstacle!

At the Parliament building, students used le goût to taste a pastry called a Parlementin. They worked together to try and guess which ingredients were used in this local delicacy.

Finally, students used l'odorat to smell local foods (without peeking!) and guess what they were. Foods included seaweed, galettes, pâté, sardines, and caramel.