Exploring Tokyo's Infamous Shrine & Temples

Japanese Language & Culture

Julia Nawa

In our first two weeks, the students have had the opportunity to explore so many different tourist locations such as Tokyo Sky Tree and Sunshine City Aquarium. In the Language and Culture program as the name suggests, we strive for both langange and cultural immersion. In classes, the students learn Japanese and during activities we immerse the students in both language and culture. One of the best locations for cultural immersion in Japan is at Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples as they play an important spiritual and/or religious role in many Japanese lives.

Senso-ji

In our first week on June 14th, our students explored Asakusa. After exiting the train station, we walk a few steps and we are greeted by 雷門 Kaminarimon , also known as the Thunder Gate, in Japanese. Then we had the students walk through the infamous 仲見世通りNakamise-dori, one of the oldest shopping streets in Japan, filled with tons of food and trinkets for the students to indulge in. Finally, we visited the pinnacle of Asakusa, Senso-ji Temple. The students partook in spiritual purification at 手水や temizuya and お参りomairi, the practice of entering shrines/temples in Japan, if they chose to. We finished the day with pulling for their fortune, お神籤 omikuji, and we took the time to explain each fortune pulled and what it meant! Overall, despite some students pulling bad fortune, we all had a great day in Asakusa!

Meiji Jingu Shrine

In week two on June 20th, we visited Meiji Jingu Shinto shrine. This shrine is dedicated Emperor Meiji and his wife, Empress Shoken, after their passing. This shrine is one of the most popular shrines for Japanese to visit for the New Year to offer their first prayer of the year. The students walked through the tranquil forest to reach the shrine and really enjoyed the foliage of the path towards Meiji Jingu. Once we reached the 鳥居 torii gate, the students took what we learned at Senso-ji, purification at the 手水や temizuya and the entrance practice, お参りomairi! We finished the day by optionally purchasing a Shinto talisman, also known as an お守り omamori, if they wanted to! The scenery of Meiji Jingu is beautiful and peaceful, so I hope that the students took in the serenity of their hectic schedule this week!