Exploring Mont Saint-Michel

French Language & Culture

Jennifer Baldwin

Our Language and Culture students embarked on an unforgettable journey to Mont Saint-Michel, one of France’s most iconic landmarks. This island, with its medieval abbey perched on a hill, is a UNESCO World Heritage site that has fascinated travelers for centuries with a unique blend of medieval architecture and natural scenery.

The students boarded the bus with excitement in the morning. As we approached the Mont Saint-Michel, they caught their first glimpse of the island rising dramatically out of the bay… the sight was truly magical. They crossed the causeway that connects the mainland to the island, feeling like they were stepping into a fairy tale.

The narrow, winding streets of the village were lined with shops, cafes, and historic buildings. The students eagerly explored, marveling at the medieval structures and the panoramic views of the bay. They paused at the Grand Rue, the main street, to sample local delicacies.

Reaching the abbey felt like stepping back in time. The students were awestruck by the Gothic architecture, the intricate stained glass windows, and the serene cloisters. The self-paced audio tour revealed fascinating stories about the abbey’s history, its construction, and the monks who lived there.  

One of the most fascinating aspects of Mont Saint-Michel is its tidal phenomenon, which transforms the landscape around the island. They learned that the tides can vary greatly, sometimes leaving the island completely surrounded by water and other times exposing vast stretches of sandy flats. Students were taken out to explore along with a guide. 

On the bus ride home, the students were tired yet satisfied from what felt like a magical day.