Exploring Creativity in Rennes

Honors French Language & Culture

Emma Butler

On Thursday, students explored another museum in Rennes, the FRAC Bretagne. In contrast to the Musée des Beaux-Arts, which has a mix of modern and classic art, the FRAC is a collection of contemporary art. According to the museum's website,  its primary mission is to create a collection and to display it in a way that engages audiences of all kinds, as well as to invent new ways of raising awareness of contemporary creation. There are over 30,000 works from 5,700 artists. The collection Pas Sommeil centered around the theme of celebrations and parties, as well as Covid's impact on youth around the world. 

Students explored and engaged with the museum's eclectic collection, comparing the works to those that they saw in the Musée des Beaux-Arts on Tuesday. Students used descriptive language they learned in class to describe works of art, interpret its theme and message, and theorize the author's purpose in creating l'oeuvre. This week's activities have enouraged students to use their language skills to interact with different mediums of art and artists, as well as to create art themselves!