Experiencing Rennes with Our Senses

Honors French Language & Culture

Bethany Malcolm

On Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, the Rennes Honors program split into two groups to explore Rennes in different ways.

One group toured the city with Center of Tourism, with a focus on using their five senses. They were able to see and identify historical landmarks, but also read maps of the historic city. They smelled the aromas of the iconic Marché des Lices, guessing what they were smelling at each turn. There was algae, sardines, and pâté to be smelled! They got to touch and experience the building materials of the different eras of Rennais architecture, including granite, wood, and roof tiles. They ended the day by trying a cake that was invented to fund the reconstruction of the Parliament Building after a fire, and guessed the key cultural ingredients, including honey, almonds, and apples. This adventure allowed students to truly experience and immerse themselves in the history of a dynamic city, all while hearing and speaking French.

After the experiences, the students reflected on the day, mentioning that they noticed parallels in historical events, like large fires and community efforts to rebuild after a disaster.