The entrepreneurial spirit begins!

Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation in Europe

Marina Tavarez

Top'O the mornin' to ya! Hello from Dublin! As the students gear up for their week of entrepreneurial immersion, the morning was off to a great start of orientation in the beautiful campus of Dublin City University, where classes will be held for the week. We then headed off to an afternoon of experiential activities traversing the city center. First, participants were welcomed by the owner of the very successful The Rolling Donut shop, where we were served freshly made delicious confections. She then  enthralled students with the story of the founding of the business decades earlier in 1978 by her father, and how she grew it from a kiosk to 8 stores. Students engaged her by asking very thoughtful questions ranging from financials, marketing, profit margins, operations and potential international expansion. 

We then headed off to some terrain and water adventuring in one of the original WWII DUKW (Duck) vehicles  for a fun filled Viking Splash guided tour. We cruised the city center and marveled at the modern architecture, colorful murals and the bustling pedestrian walkways, all while listening to the city's historical progression, from English rule to it's liberation. The duck then converted into its amphibious form as we splashed into the Grand canal for a short cruise, where we passed by the recording studios of U2, and Google's European Headquarters. It was indeed a craic (fun) experience!