Eid al-Adha

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Stephanie Humphrey

This blog was written by another student, Ayat, about her experience with her host family for Eid al-Adha.  

My festive morning began with the sounds of my future meal, Shi Shi the sheep. As I got up to dress and join my wonderful Moroccan family, I was presented with the most eye-catching breakfast ever. Alongside the tea was an arrangement of cookies and donuts, all things that bring joy to my tummy. As my wonderful sister, mom, and I sipped tea and ate cookies, I was given a rundown of how the day would look like.

We began by putting down Shi Shi and starting the ritual of sacrifice. This was far from what I had expected; it was a deeply symbolic, spiritual, and humbling experience. Hearing the story of Prophet Ibrahim and his son warmed my heart and increased my appreciation for my religion.

Later, I met up with my fellow CIEE friends to wish them an Eid al-Adha Mubarak. We embarked on a beach day, walking along the path to the beach with a few people. We saw the burning of a sheep's head and curious as we were, asked about this practice, we asked a kind young man why it was happening. He explained that it is part of the tradition, believed to ensure purity and ward off evil spirits. We thanked him, wished him a happy Eid Mubarak, and continued our walk, wishing everyone we saw a happy Eid.

As we made it to the beach me and Rihanna began our aunty duties of watching over everyone’s things while they swam. She brought up the idea of doing each other henna. With laughter and Aunty talks, we discussed our eventful Eid morning. As everyone regrouped at the spot and played a few games to better familiarize each other we all got to know each other and met each other's host siblings until time passed.And it soon came to be 9, So we end our holidays with a photo.