A Day in Segovia

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Lytice Gordon

This week one of my students volunteered to write a blog about her first experience in Segovia:

picture of student in Segovia

¡Hola desde Madrid! My name is Marmwet Zelalem and I am currently a student on the CIEE Honors Language and Culture Program in Madrid. This past Saturday, we had the opportunity to explore the beauties of Segovia and go kayaking!  Upon our arrival, we were provided with a guided tour of Segovia. Segovia is a charming ancient city with the most Romanesque churches in Europe. What surprised me the most were the ancient aqueducts  in the city. I thought they were absolutely gorgeous.

Aqueducts in Segovia

I was able to learn about the history of the structures in Segovia and capture numerous stunning photographs. After that tour, we were able to eat lunch with our friends in front of the many incredible views Segoiva had to offer.

Students walking through the streets of Segovia.

Following that, we went kayaking! Guided along the way, we were taught how to kayak and also the important safety measures. Initially, I felt a little nervous as I had no prior experience with kayaking, but as time went on, I became more comfortable and overall had a great experience. Not to mention, a special someone decided to make an appearance, a white horse!

Students taking photos with a white horse.

All in all, the visit to Segovia was fantastic. Students had the opportunity to delve into Spanish culture, enhance relationships, and make unforgettable memories together!