A Day in Oxford

Theatre Arts on London’s Stage

Jeffrey Pufahl

A Day in Oxford Saturday July 13, 2024

“I’ll tell you a secret: we don’t read and write poetry because it’s pretty. We read and write poetry because we belong to the human race; and the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, Law, Commerce, Engineering…they are noble and necessary races to dignify human life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love are things that keep us alive.” 

--Dead Poets Society (1989)

It wasn’t a long morning bus ride and then there we were in the heart of Oxford! 

Oxford is a special place and feels like you’re both stepping back in time and entering into the world of Harry Potter and the fantastic. Our morning was spent with a knowledgeable and passionate guide who toured us around the different colleges of Oxford University. 

Discussing the Bodlean Library

Founded in 1096, Oxford is made up of several Colleges that were established over hundreds of years; Oxford students choose a college in which they take up residence for the duration of their studies. It was very inspiring to be in a place completely dedicated to scholarship and knowledge and my sense was that the standards for scholarship at Oxford are indeed very high. Not long ago, exams were conducted orally, and proctors could keep students in the exam as long as they liked! Fellow students were permitted to observe the exam and also press their fellow student with questions. One exam reportedly lasted three days!

It was wonderful to tread the passageways where great authors such as C.S. Lewis and Tolkien once taught students to imagine and write fiction. We stood at the door where C.S. Lewis taught writing and where he imagined the delightful world of Narnia. It would seem that he drew some inspiration from his surroundings. 

Inspiration for Aslan?

After lunch in the market stalls, we set off for an afternoon of punting on the tributaries that run through the city. Getting in and out of the boats was no easy task, but once settled, we relaxed and floated along, taking in the idyllic countryside. The students even had a chance to try out punting with the expert assistance of the strapping lads who were our guides for the afternoon. 

Students enjoying the water

After a brief stop in the bookstore, we piled back into the bus for the trip back to London. The bus was remarkably quiet as the students caught some shuteye before the evening out in the city. 

That evening several students accompanied me to a brilliant production of “Guys and Doll’s at the Bridge Theatre. Often touted as “the perfect musical” this production is staged in the round and invites audience members to join the action on the floor. It was such a joy to see the students interacting with the actors and being part of the action! Afterwards they even got to meet the actor playing Sky Masterson! What more could one ask for in a day!

meeting the actors!