Danish Castles and Food Halls

Taking Climate Action

Augustina Munter

This week students had the opportunity to visit Rosenborg Castle, Reffen food hall and the Tivoli amusement park and food hall. It was several days packed with fun cultural experiences and opportunities to see Danish royal history and enjoy both Danish food and foods from all over the world. In Rosenborg students were able to see historic royal artifacts and the Crown Jewels.

Tivoli is home to the oldest wooden roller coaster that still utilizes a staff member to brake the rollercoaster, making it a unique experience like no other! The former Queen of Denmark, Queen Margrethe II is also working for Tivoli designing costumes and sets for the upcoming ballet "Klods Hans" (Clumsy Hans). Students did a scavenger hunt throughout the park, and enjoyed the rides along the way. During the scavenger hunt they learned about climate friendly adaptations that Tivoli has, like their electric trolly and recycling system for Tivoli cups. 

On Saturday our Global Navigators braved the rain and went to Youth Island to learn about how Danish youth have a space for activism and innovation. They participated in a democracy game where they were able to decide the values of a new island and negotiate on how to be granted access to another island. They were able to learn more about the democratic process and gained insight into youth activism in Denmark.

Students in a debate on Youth Island