Culture, Cooking and Costumes- Navigators Take the City

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Kaylee Haskell

After participating in service learning every morning, the Global Navigators head back to Legon to try their hand at various cultural activities.

One evening we traveled about 5 minutes off campus to learn how to make a famous local dish- jollof rice and fried chicken. Jollof rice is a popular staple meal in many West African countries. Its popularity has even created a competition surrounding who makes the best version, including places like Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal and more. The students had the opportunity to assist with preparation, cutting onions and tomatoes for the jollof, as well as cutting vegetables for the side salad. Jollof rice is made by first creating a tomato stew, then later adding the rice, infusing the stew within the rice- eventually creating a spicy, savory, satisfying pot of famous Ghanaian jollof rice.

Photo for blog post Culture, Cooking and Costumes- Navigators Take the City

Another cultural activity the students had the opportunity to try was the art of basket weaving. We had a guest master basket weaver come in to demonstrate her craft with the Global Navigators, assisting them from start to finish.  The students were able to choose their own colors and also had the liberty to determine the size and shape of their new creations, overall it was a success!

Last Saturday, we ventured off campus to take a tour around Accra. As a group, we identified major landmarks around the city, including The Jubilee House (similar to the White House in the U.S.), Independence Square and The National Theatre. We took a pit stop in the Jamestown area of Accra to visit the Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum. Kwame Nkrumah became the first president of Ghana when the country gained independence on March 6, 1957. We had the privilege of seeing where the late president lays to rest, alongside his wife, as well as touring the museum of the early history of his presidency and the beginning of Ghana's modern political system. 

After our tour concluded, we perched at the National Theatre and saw the premiere of the play "Tribeless," an original play by Kobina Ansah. The students had the opportunity to experience an original Ghanaian play about relationships, health and the hardships of fame. The National Theatre opened in 1991 and has hosted many dance festivals, concerts, TEDxAccra and more!

The last cultural activity that had been the most exciting for a majority of students has been our continuous dance workshops. We have had the pleasure of working with Mr. Brown- a master of dance, UG graduate and former CIEE UPal. He began by introducing the Global Navigators to various warm-ups, group activities and traditional Ghanaian songs. The students practiced some old dance moves, as well as some new, contemporary moves. Dance has been prevalent throughout the entirety of our trip, whether it be lessons with Mr. Brown or listening to Kuami Eugene on the bus, we are always working on our moves!

Medaase,

Keyandra, Harriet and Kaylee