Country Life in the City: Day Trip to Qingpu!

Chinese Language & Culture

Fiona Sievert

This past Saturday (July 13), HSSA Shanghai ventured out to Qingpu for a day-trip in the countryside! Upon stepping off the bus, students were greeted with mud and rain — but that didn’t stop them. A few shoe covers and rain ponchos later, everyone proceeded to different activities, including farming, cooking, making pizza, and picking up trash scattered around the area in order to protect the natural environment. 

Students strolling through the forest and collecting trash.

Those who went farming and gathered trash had a chance to wander into the forested area nearby and appreciate the natural scenery and sounds. The work required effort, especially in the humid heat, but the students pushed through — and were handsomely rewarded by their fellow classmates at the cooking station. 

Cooking involved a host of farm-fresh local vegetables, which were hand-washed by the students and then skillfully chopped and stir-fried. It was so exciting to see everyone in front of a stove, or whisking eggs like pros! The resulting meal was delicious and consumed shortly after it was prepared by the students underneath two outdoor canopy-style tents. Delicious student-made pizza was also featured!

Students chopping up local, farm-fresh veggies

After eating their fill, the students were invited to participate in yet another activity (perhaps the most exciting of the day for some, given the heat): kayaking! The instructors began with a safety overview and then the adventure began. Students were paired up, got into their kayaks, and went off to sea — well “off to river” might be the more appropriate expression. Some nervous laughter and kayak-bumping ensued as everyone got the hang of steering and coordinating their paddle strokes. 

The river provided some gorgeous scenery and a relaxing atmosphere — so very different from the bustling center of Shanghai city. Floating along the river, the students passed underneath tree branches waving gently, listened to birds twittering, and cooled off their feet and hands in the water. The instructors directed attention to a local invasive species: apple snails. Students were encouraged to collect and remove the red eggs scattered along the riverbank, so that while they were enjoying the nature around them, they were also simultaneously learning about what must be done to continue to preserve it. 

Kayaking chaos!

All in all, a productive and insightful day, one which allowed for students to truly appreciate the fruits of their labor.