Český Krumlov Excursion

Art-Making in Prague's Creative Studios

Nathalie Vincent

The weekend journey to Český Krumlov, a town often referred to as the "Pearl of Bohemia," began on Friday afternoon. The students left Prague filled with anticipation for what lay ahead. Upon arrival in this enchanting medieval town, they settled into their hotel and enjoyed a delightful dinner at a local restaurant. 

Art and Exploration: Saturday was dedicated to art and creativity. The highlight of the day was the animation workshop at the Egon Schiele Art Centrum, led by the renowned artist Toybox. The students immersed themselves in the world of animation and comic creation. Toybox, known for her distinctive style and impactful storytelling, guided the students through the process of creating their own comics. They engaged in activities that encouraged them to develop characters, plot their stories, and ultimately present their finished comics to the group. This hands-on experience allowed them to explore their creativity and storytelling abilities uniquely and engagingly. 

Afternoon Free Time:  In the afternoon, the students had free time to explore Český Krumlov at their own pace. Some wandered through the cobblestone streets, discovering charming shops and cafes, while others relaxed by the Vltava River or visited local landmarks like the Church of St. Vitus. The town's medieval atmosphere and well-preserved buildings and winding streets provided endless inspiration and relaxation. 

Castle and Craft, Sunday began with a visit to the Castle Museum and tower. The views from the top were breathtaking, offering a panoramic vista of the town and the winding Vltava River. Exploring the museum, the students learned about the history of the castle and the noble families who once resided there, including the Rosenbergs and the Schwarzenbergs. 

Jewelry-Making Workshop: The final activity of the trip was a jewelry-making workshop at a local leather shop. The students learned the art of crafting beautiful jewelry pieces, guided by skilled artisans. It was a hands-on experience that allowed them to create unique souvenirs to remember their time in Český Krumlov.

Local Cuisine For lunch, the group dined at another local restaurant, savoring more traditional Czech dishes like roast pork with dumplings and sauerkraut. The meal was a delightful blend of flavors and a wonderful way to recharge before their next activity.